Granny was a frugal cook! She loved baking.
My Granny’s name is Dorothy. She passed away in 2010. She was a character!
One day my extended family were visiting at my brother’s house.
Now, in my family is full of sarcasm and dry wit. We have no problems laughing at and with each other. (We are fun and strange that way!)
My daughter, Hannah, was three years old at the time. Hannah walked up to Granny and said “Granny”. (Granny may have had a glass of wine!) Grandma replied “yes, baby doll Who is Thelma?” Hannah had a strange look on her face and I wondered why my grandma asked her that.
Granny looked at me and said “what is she saying?” Hannah said to her again “Granny”.
“Who is Thelma?” Granny asked. We are all laughing. I said “Granny, she’s saying Granny”. Grandma says “No, she is saying Thelma.”
When she realized it wasn’t Thelma she was hearing, but a sweet three year old with a quiet voice trying to say Grandma, she laughed and laughed.
So, that is how my Granny became Thelma. Every card and every voicemail from that day on was from Thelma. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
Check out more PUMPKIN TREATS and Fall inspiration!
This is Thelma’s (Dorothy / Granny) Pumpkin Walnut Bread. I will forever cherish these recipes and forever cherish my funny Thelma.
Thelma’s Pumpkin Walnut Bread
- 2 cups all purpose flour sifted
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin canned, pureed
- 1/4 cup butter unsalted
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon together in a mixing bowl.
- Beat eggs, milk, sugar, pumpkin and butter in a large bowl until well blended. Stir in dry ingredients until smooth. Fold in walnuts. Pour into greased loaf pan.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 55 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Mix together powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until smooth. Drizzle over Pumpkin Bread.ENJOY!
Love this recipe? Check out more recipes in THE KITCHEN.